My research combines machine learning and linguistics to build natural language processing systems that are robust to contextual variation and offer new insights about social phenomena.
A complete list of publications can be found here, on Google scholar, and on Semantic scholar.
Here are some recent papers:
- Measuring and modeling language change. Eisenstein. NAACL 2019 and IC2S2 tutorial.
- Unsupervised domain adaptation of contextualized embeddings: A case study in early modern English. Han and Eisenstein. Accepted to EMNLP 2019.
- How we do things with words: Analyzing text as social and cultural data. Nguyen, Liakata, DeDeo, Eisenstein, Mimno, Tromble, Winters. Preprint.
- The Referential Reader: A Recurrent Entity Network for Anaphora Resolution. Liu, Zettlemoyer, and Eisenstein. ACL 2019.
- Making "fetch" happen: The influence of social and linguistic context on the success of lexical innovations. Stewart and Eisenstein. EMNLP, 2018.
- Mind Your POV: Convergence of Articles and Editors Towards Wikipedia's Neutrality Norm. Pavalanathan, Han, and Eisenstein. CSCW, 2018.
- Interactional Stancetaking in Online Forums. Kiesling, Pavalanathan, Fitzpatrick, Han, and Eisenstein. Computational Linguistics, September 2018.
- Predicting Semantic Relations using Global Graph Properties. Pinter and Eisenstein. EMNLP 2018.
- Overcoming language variation in sentiment analysis with social attention. Yang and Eisenstein. Transactions of the ACL, 2017.
- Spring 2018: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Fall 2017: CS 8803-CSS, Computational Social Science
- Spring 2017: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2016: CS4464/6465, Computational Journalism
- Fall 2015: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2015: CS 8803-CSS, Computational Social Science
- Fall 2014: CS 4650/7650 Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2014: CS 8803, Computational Social Science
- Fall 2013: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2013: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2012: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
(starting with the most recent)
- Co-chair: 2016 EMNLP Workshop on NLP and Computational Social Science.
- Co-chair: 2014 ACL Workshop on Language Technologies and Computational Social Science
- Co-chair: 2013-2015 Atlanta Workshop on Computational Social Science
- Senior area chair: EMNLP 2020, ACL 2019
- Area chair: ACL 2020, NAACL 2018, EMNLP 2017, NAACL 2016, ACL 2014, EACL 2013
- Tutorial co-chair: ACL 2018, NAACL 2012
- Coordinator/chair/czar of student research workshop, awards, and/or volunteers: NAACL 2016, ICML 2013, NAACL 2013
- Program committees: ACL, CONLL, EMNLP, NAACL, ICML, NIPS, CSCW, various workshops. All these venues are open-access (OA).
- Editorial boards: Action editor at TACL (OA), Linguistic Issues in Language Technology (OA), Language Variation series at Language Science Press (OA), Computational Linguistics (OA)
- Journal Reviewing: Communications of the ACM, Computational Linguistics (OA), Journal of Machine Learning Research (OA), Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (OA), Machine Learning Journal, Transactions of the Association of Computational Linguistics (OA), Journal of Sociolinguistics, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Language in Society, Glossa (OA), Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Digital Scholarship in the Humanities, Nature Human Behavior ...
- I prefer that my reviewing effort goes towards papers that everyone can read. So I usually will not review for venues that are non-OA, unless I submit papers there myself.