A complete list of publications can be found here, on Google scholar, and on Semantic scholar. Here are some recent papers in my current areas of interest.
Measuring and modeling language change
- Time-Aware Language Models as Temporal Knowledge Bases.
Dhingra*, Cole*, Eisenschlos, Gillick, Eisenstein, and Cohen.
- Abolitionist Networks: Modeling Language Change in Nineteenth-Century Activist Newspapers.
Soni, Klein, and Eisenstein.
Journal of Cultural Analytics, 2021.
- Follow the leader: Documents on the leading edge of semantic change get more citations. Soni, Lerman, and Eisenstein.
- Measuring and modeling language change. Eisenstein. NAACL 2019 and IC2S2 tutorial.
Making NLP more robust
- Counterfactual Invariance to Spurious Correlations: Why and How to Pass Stress Tests. Veitch, D'Amour, Yadlowsky, and Eisenstein.
- Learning to Recognize Dialect Features. Demszky, Sharma, Clark, Prabhakaran, and Eisenstein. NAACL 2021.
- Underspecification Presents Challenges for Credibility in Modern Machine Learning. D'Amour, Heller, Moldovan, ..., Eisenstein, ..., Sculley. arXiv 2020.
- Unsupervised domain adaptation of contextualized embeddings for sequence labeling. Han and Eisenstein. EMNLP 2019.
- Senior area chair: EMNLP 2020, ACL 2019
- Area chair: EMNLP 2021, ACL 2021, ACL 2020, NAACL 2018, EMNLP 2017, NAACL 2016, ACL 2014, EACL 2013
- Tutorial co-chair: ACL 2018, NAACL 2012
- Steering committee: 2021 EMNLP Workshop on Causal Inference & NLP.
- Co-chair: 2016 EMNLP Workshop on NLP and Computational Social Science.
- Co-chair: 2014 ACL Workshop on Language Technologies and Computational Social Science
- Co-chair: 2013-2015 Atlanta Workshop on Computational Social Science
- Coordinator/chair/czar of student research workshop, awards, and/or volunteers: NAACL 2016, ICML 2013, NAACL 2013
- Program committees: ACL, CONLL, EMNLP, NAACL, ICML, NeurIPS, CSCW, various workshops. All these venues are open-access (OA).
- Editorial boards: Action editor at TACL (OA), Linguistic Issues in Language Technology (OA), Language Variation series at Language Science Press (OA), Computational Linguistics (OA)
- Journal Reviewing: Communications of the ACM, Computational Linguistics (OA), Journal of Machine Learning Research (OA), Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (OA), Machine Learning Journal, Transactions of the Association of Computational Linguistics (OA), Journal of Sociolinguistics, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Language in Society, Glossa (OA), Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Digital Scholarship in the Humanities, Nature Human Behavior ...
- I prefer that my reviewing effort goes towards papers that everyone can read. So I usually will not review for venues that are non-OA, unless I submit papers there myself.
Teaching and advising
- Spring 2018: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Fall 2017: CS 8803-CSS, Computational Social Science
- Spring 2017: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2016: CS4464/6465, Computational Journalism
- Fall 2015: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2015: CS 8803-CSS, Computational Social Science
- Fall 2014: CS 4650/7650 Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2014: CS 8803, Computational Social Science
- Fall 2013: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2013: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
- Spring 2012: CS 4650/7650, Natural Language Processing
I was also fortunate to advise some great PhD students at Georgia Tech: